SolarSack is a water purification device which utilises UV rays from sunlight to disinfect contaminated water. Using the SODIS method the product is able to disinfect 4 liters of water in 1 hour, destroying common bacteria such as E. Coli and viruses.
The project will be focussed on designing an indicator, which can be used to show the user when the disinfection is complete and the water is safe to drink.
The indicator needs to be:
- Simple and easy to use
- Cheap to manufacture
- Reusable (minimum of 150 times)
- Incorporated within the existing product
- Accurate in predicting when water is safe to drink
Some example design ideas include:
- Crystal based indicator that changes colour
- Solar irradiance meter
- Thermometer based indicator
- Mechanical timer
Bachelor or Masters in relevant discipline