"Power-to-Hydrogen, Hydrogen-to-X” are recognized as one of the most promising
technical solutions enabling integrated low carbon electricity-and-fuel systems
and facilitating renewable integration. Power-to-Hydrogen refers to the process
that uses (green) electricity to split water into hydrogen and oxygen through
various electrolyser technologies. Hydrogen-to-X refers to a range of high
value products (e.g. fuel, methanol, methane) and services (transport,
gas/energy storage). The figure below shows an example of how green transport
is realized by using hydrogen as the energy carrier.
In 2020, 200 new hydrogen buses will be driving around in Denmark under
the support of EU. To make Denmark ready for this, a series of studies are in urgent
· Model the driving pattern of hydrogen buses and
estimate the demand of hydrogen and electricity demand
· Model the process of hydrogen refueling (incl. hydrogen production,
storage and consumption)
· Optimal sizing, sitting and control of hydrogen refueling station
(incl. hydrogen production, storage and consumption)
· Model and analyze the impact of power to
hydrogen to the electrical grid in Denmark
· Model and analyze the techno-economic potential
of using hydrogen solutions to provide power balancing services
· Model and optimal control of practical
integrated energy system setups in Denmark including Power to Hydrogen,
Hydrogen to X and co-generation, district heat, demand response etc.
The student can select one or more of the above subjects and turn it into a master thesis project.